Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Power to Shed

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Lars Nielsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 2004
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What is the code requirement to runing a power line from the house to the shed 100' from the house?
    I have a chainlink fence all around the property and could run a cable on or inside the pipe of this fence if permitted.
    If running the cable on the fence what type is required?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Navyguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 22nd, 2004
    Posts
    14
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Without looking at your situation, I would suggest trenching to your garage and dropping a pipe in the ground. A little more work at first, but likely worth it in the long run.

    You can?t run a wire in the fence; it needs to be approved conduit. If you were to run on the fence I would think you would want some tech (ACL90?). Not sure what size, but likely a #8/3 conductor maybe bigger. I would not recommend running a TWU or any other cable like that.

    Not sure what the grounding requirements would be with the fence however, if any, but it just doesn?t seem right to run a wire on a fence to me?

    Cheers

    John

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Lars Nielsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 2004
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for your reply. Putting a pipe in the ground is not an option because of the tree population in my back yard. However, if acceptable with code requirements, I could run a tech cable. If so where on the fence should it be installed and do I have to put a grounding rod in the ground at the shed?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •